At Bushcraft Survival Australia, the health and wellbeing of our staff and our participants is always a priority.
We are keeping an eye on current restrictions and guidance in Australia and overseas which is changing on a daily basis.
As of May 1st there has been an ease in COVID19 restrictions in NSW due to infection rates remaining low. If this continues we hopefully will see further restrictions being lifted during the month of May as have occurred in other Australian states and territories.
We have previously stated that we felt the gathering of a small number of people outside, in the open air, relatively isolated from others, was a relatively low-risk scenario. We still believe this to be true.
In fact, on balance, we are providing outdoor education for a small group of people. The risk of transmission seems lower than what many people face in their daily lives, going to the shops, being on public transport, children attending school in an enclosed classroom and, for the many who cannot work from home, going to work in an enclosed work space.
Once again, the nature of our courses allows us to easily practise social distancing and extend individual isolation. Isolation and solo scenarios are some of the activities that we run on our more advanced courses and is easily achievable for our basic courses. After all, being able to perform various self reliant skills and learning to become comfortable on your own in a remote environment is one of the main reasons for learning bushcraft, survival skills and these courses!
With the likelihood of more restrictions being lifted before the end of May, it is our intention to still run most of our scheduled courses as advertised, maintaining strict social distancing and hygiene measures.
In the event that sufficient restrictions are not lifted before the commencement of the Sydney 29-31 May Basic course, we will notify you individually no later than May 25.
In the event that restrictions dictate that we cannot run this course, we will postpone it until the alternative date of 16-18 October and set another alternative date for a second end of year Sydney course.
For those that cannot travel due to interstate restrictions or people who may wish to make alternative plans in advance just in case the course does not run, we will move your booking to the 16-18 October session. For those that would prefer a refund we can also organise that for you. Please email us at: email@example.com
During any course we will follow our usual, strict, expedition camp hygiene methods and protocols for hand washing, food preparation, latrines and water supply, which are always vital for the health of a group in an outdoor camp. We will also add extra sterilisation steps to our dish washing protocols.
The continued intermittent and unpredictable availability of many foodstuffs and household items is still a concern. Most of our courses are catered. We purchase significant quantities of food from local supermarkets for all participants for the duration of the course.
Due to supermarkets still rationing some foodstuffs as well as hand soap, sanitisers and toilet roll, it may not be possible to source sufficient food and materials in bulk to stock our camp as we usually do. If this is still the case a week before the course is due to commence, we will send all participants on the course a shopping list so that they can make up their own individual 2-3 day ration packs, which we do on some of our more advanced courses.
Things are changing on a daily basis but to help minimise the risk of someone who is already infected joining a course, we ask that if you feel at all unwell or have any of the widely-reported symptoms, then you should follow the advice of the authorities, including isolation, which also means you must not travel to a course. In these circumstances, let us know you are not coming and we will move you to another course date.
Given what we currently know about the virus and those who are most severely affected by the disease, we would advise those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus to postpone their course, and contact us to move to an alternative date. Please follow the department of Health guidance on social distancing for everyone in Australia and protecting older people and vulnerable adults for details of specific medical conditions. We also encourage everyone to upload the COVID app to their device.
We are still waiting to see what happens over the next couple of weeks and will provide a final update on the 25th May.
Our aim throughout this is to look after our team and our customers, both in terms of their health and their course fees, with the intention of ultimately delivering the course to the highest of standards we hold ourselves to.
If you need any further information from us or have any questions or concerns, please email us. We will give further updates through our social media platforms and our website as the situation demands.
Please be aware that due to the constantly changing environment, as we all navigate the new restrictions together, there is a possibility of course changes or cancellations up to and including the 29th of May. This is in the interest of your safety and the safety and well-being of our community. We thank you for your understanding during these challenging times.
Bushcraft Survival Australia