Bushcraft Survival Australia Outdoor Education Programs are based on our basic, intermediate and junior courses, but with the flexibility to customize content to suit your school outcomes or specific needs.
The aim of our programs are to:
- create unique learning opportunities in distinctive and challenging environments
- encourage intellectual, physical and social development
- provide opportunities to learn life skills, responsibilities, self-discipline and self esteem
- re-connect students to the natural world and our place within it, ultimately helping them to respect and look after it
The study of bushcraft is all about the practical study of nature with minimum reliance on equipment
Offered over 2 or 3 days, the programs offer a fun, challenging and educational experience for students who will learn about the natural world and gain valuable life skills along the way.
Our courses cover things such as:
- Survival priorities and survival psychology
- Kit selection and how to use it
- How to construct emergency and natural shelters
- How to find water and make it safe to drink
- How to find food and make it safe to eat
- Modern and traditional fire lighting methods
- How to stay seen and signal for help
- Camp craft
- Man made and natural cordage
- Natural navigation using solar and celestial means
- Safe use of cutting tools
- Edible and useful plants
- Aboriginal cooking methods
- How to live hygienically in the bush
- How to look after the environment and leave no trace
Catering and Food
All meals will be provided. Students are given opportunities to prepare and cook over a campfire using traditional methods.
Students will learn how to use a camp oven, bake bread and cook in the coals.
The entire program is held outdoors in an expedition type field camp.
We encourage students to stay in the emergency and natural shelters which they will build themselves or the selected man made equipment they will be instructed to bring.
Lead by highly skilled, trained and experienced instructors, the teaching styles and methods available for presentation will keep your students engaged, enthusiastic and will be remembered for years to come.
What Others say:
The 3 Day Basic Bushcraft Survival Course was certainly challenging yet very rewarding for our students. Gordon’s high-level of expertise, knowledge and passion for his craft was very evident in all aspects of the three day experience. Our students enjoyed developing personal and practical skills necessary to cope in an emergency survival situation. Not only was there bushcraft survival skills learnt, there was also a subtle focus on personal leadership skills across the three days including organisation, patience, team-work and perseverance.
Amanda Holt, Year 9 Coordinator Darwin Middle School
To see mapping of some of the Year 7-9 school curriculum outcomes and competencies against our Bushcraft Survival subjects, please click here.
Contact us today to discuss how to tailor a program to suit your needs.