The following items are the REQUIRED Items to be used for the completion of the Pathfinder Basic Survival Class. Ideally, each student SHOULD have their own equipment to complete the required deliverable tasks as well as for future use, however we recognise that some of the items might be difficult to obtain, so taking this into account we will have some of the harder to obtain items available for you to borrow and return at the end of the course. Items in GREEN we will supply if you don’t have them. All other items you will need to obtain yourself.
The 10 C’s of Survivability refer to the 10 Categories of Tools used in survival. Please separate the 10 C’s into an easily manageable backpack or haversack (shoulder bag) as these are the primary tools you will utilise:
1) Cutting Tools:
- Knife: Should be non-coated with a 90 degree spine. We recommend the Mora HD MG Companion, Mora Bushcraft Black, Mora Garberg.
- Folding Saw: We recommend the Bahco Laplander or Silky Pocket Boy.
2) Combustion Devices: Fire Kit Components
- Two Bic Lighters
- 5x Magnifying Glass/lens (Fresnel card lens accepted)
- 1/2” x 6” Ferrocerium Rod (DO NOT bring a small one, minimum size is an army sized model)
3) Cover: Emergency Shelter
- All Weather 5×7 Space Blanket
- Four, 6mil, 55 gallon Drum Liner
- One Queen Size Wool Blanket or two twin size army wool blankets
- 25ft Paracord (must be proper paracord with 5-7 inner strands)
- 100ft #36 Tarred Bankline
5) Container: Drinking & Cooking
- Pathfinder 32oz SS Bottle and Nesting Cup. Klean Kanteen 40oz (not insulated) are a good option.
- Must have bezel ring, sighting mirror and magnifying lens (non-lensatic). We recommend the SUUNTO MC-2 Global or the SILVA Ranger.
- Ranger Pace beads
7) Cloth & Repair
- Two 3ft x 3ft pieces of 100% Cotton Material orange and green (Shemagh or XXXL Orange T Shirt) – – Scrap cotton material like an old T or flannel shirt (must be 100% Cotton)
- #14 Sail Needle
8) Candling Device: Lighting
- Headlamp/torch with Spare Batteries (Ledlenser and Black Diamond are reliable brands)
9) Cargo: Tape
- 1 Large Roll of Gorilla Tape (Not Standard Duct Tape)
10) Combination Tool: Multi Tools
- Leatherman Style Multi Tool or Swiss Army Knife (Huntsman and Hunter are good models)
Additionally you will need:
- All Weather Notebook/ Journal (regular notepad if you can’t find one)
- 3 Pencils/pens/All Weather Pens
- appropriate Toiletry/Hygiene Items
- Bring any and all medications for personal use including mozzie spray (especially those that repel ticks) as well as first aid items that are appropriate for the outdoor environment.
- Tarp, Tent, Hammock or Swag
- Sleeping mat (insulated or closed cell) ¾ size is all you need
- Suitable sleeping bag (bivvi bag if wet weather)
Clothing appropriate for season and weather conditions
- Make sure you have a belt
- Warm layers
- Hat/head covering
- Long pants
- Adequate footwear and socks
- Wet weather gear
Equipment and Clothing for this class can be purchased at a reduced rate from:
Australian Survival Supplies: https://www.survivalsuppliesaustralia.com.au/
Gear Supply: https://www.gearsupply.com.au/home.aspx
(Discount product codes for 15-20% off will be supplied upon booking)